So, you’re looking for a place to rent in Grand Rapids?
As you’ve already seen… there are a lot of options in the Grand Rapids area for housing.
All the way from apartments in Grand Rapids to rental houses in Grand Rapids… condos… mobile homes, and more.
But if you’re struggling to decide if you want to rent an apartment or a house… check out our tips below on the “pros and cons” of renting a local apartment vs. the pros and cons of renting a local house. (also, see our blog post on pros and cons of Rent to Own Programs for more detailed info >)
Renting An Apartment vs Renting A House in Grand Rapids
Renting A Grand Rapids Apartment –
There are lots of great apartments in Grand Rapids.
You’ve probably found new apartment complexes with all kinds of amenities like a swimming pool, gym, rec area, and all kinds of other perks.
And you’ve probably come across some bare-bones apartments that just gave you 4 walls and not much else.
So here are some Pros for renting local apartments:
- Often rent is cheaper with an apartment vs. renting a house
- Sometimes some services are included in your rent (trash, water, etc.)
- Maintenance is 100% taken care of by the management (if you’re in a bigger complex, usually the maintenance person is on-site and can repair things quickly)
- Sometimes there are more apartment units available than houses you want
- Amenities are often included like rec rooms, gyms, pools, and more.
- Sometimes you can pick up your neighbor’s wifi!
Here are some Cons of renting local apartments:
– You have neighbors sharing walls with you (sometimes on 3 sides of you)
– The stairs: If you get an upstairs apartment it can be a pain getting your furniture in and out
– Parking lot dings: If you’ve lived in a large apartment complex where you’re parking in a shared parking lot… you’ve likely experienced a ding or two from your neighbors on your car.
– Usually, you don’t get a yard that is just for you (if you do, it’s usually very very small)
So what about renting a house in Grand Rapids?
Here are some Pros for renting local houses:
- You usually get more space than an apartment (and more privacy)
- You don’t share walls with your neighbors
- You get the feeling of living in a home rather than a temporary apartment
- Usually, the neighborhoods are full of other houses and feel more like a real neighborhood… rather than a complex of apartments
- Often times many utilities are paid for
Here are some Cons for renting local houses:
- Sometimes you’re expected to do some more of the minor maintenance yourself (not always though)
- Inventory of great rental houses that you want to live in can be limited
- You may have a higher deposit with a house over an apartment
- Rent is usually higher for a house of similar square footage vs. an apartment (because you’re paying for the other benefits of having a house mentioned above)
So, What Kind of Grand Rapids Houses Should You Start to Look At
In the end, I can’t say that local Grand Rapids apartments are better than houses to rent or not.
It’s really down to your preference of what you want.
If you want more space and room to roam (without having to share walls with neighbors)… then renting a house will be the route you want to go.
If you’re looking for lots of options, a lower price, and extra amenities like a pool… take a look at the local apartments.
Or, the 3rd option for you is a local Grand Rapids rent to own home program.
Not sure what a “rent to own” home is?
Check out this page on our website that walks you through what a rent to own home (lease option) home is.
If you’re interested in seeing the local Grand Rapids rent to own homes that are available click the link below to get on the list and see available homes.
Or call us at 786-808-1099 anytime to ask us questions and see if our Grand Rapids Rent To Own Program is right for you!